%@ Language=Inherit from Web %>
S. J. Farlow
Professor of Mathematics
Dept of Mathematics and Statistics
332 Neville Hall
University of Maine
Orono, ME. 04469
tel: (207) 581-3907
Public Health Service: National Institutes of Health (1962-1968)
Fall 2007 Courses:
MAT261 Intro to Abstract Math
Mathematical Interests: Exact control theory, GMDH type algorithms, logical regression, textbook writing.
Other Interests travel writing
1. An Existence Theorem for Periodic Solutions of a Parabolic Boundary Value Problem of the Second Kind [PDF] Society of Industrial and Applied Mathematics, November, 1968.
2. A Sequence of Families Converging in an Equiconvergent Manner [PDF], American Mathematical Monthly, May, 1969.
3. An Interesting Generalization of a Simple Limit Theorem, Pi Mu Epsilon Journal, Fall 1970.
4. A Note on Switching Times for Time-Optimal Control Systems, IEEE Transactions on Automatic Control, Vol. AC-15, Feb, 1970.
5. An Interesting Generalization of a Simple Limit Theorem, Math Gazette, 1971.
6. On Finding Switching Times in Time-Optimal Control Systems, International Journal of Control, 1973.
7. Periodic Solutions of Nonlinear Boundary-Value Problems of the Second Kind of Parabolic Type [abstract PDF] , Portugaliae Mathematica, Vol 32, 1973.
8. Analytical Solutions to Second-Order Differential Equations, Computer and Math with Applications, Vol. 1, 1977.
9. 6 Enter 8 Times = , Int. J. of Math. Ed., 1980.
10. Some Extensions of the Clarke and Wright Method [abstract PDF], OPSEARCH, Vol 19, No. 3, 1982.
12. Memory of a Probability Distribution, Int. J. of Math.Ed. Sci. Tech, 1982.
13. Driving Linear Systems to Zero in Given Time, 1982, Int. J. of Systems Science.
14. Self-Organizing Methods in Modeling, Proceedings of the International Conference on Modeling, 1983.
15. Searching for Structure: GMDH Type Algorithms, Invited Lecture, 4th International Conference of Modeling, 1983.
16. Trisecting the Circle, Squaring the Angle, and Other Mathematical Miscellanies, Int. J. of Math Ed. 1984.
17. A Computer Program for Ranking Athletic Teams, Int. Journal on Math. Ed., Vol. 15, 1984.
18. Driving Complex Systems to Zero in Given Time, International Journal of Systems Science, 1984.
19. Exact Control of a System of Diffusion Equations [abstract in PDF], International Journal of Control, 1985.
20. Exact Controls of Linear Systems with Multiply Controls, IEEE Transactions of Automatic Control, AC-30, Aug, 1985.
21. Exact Control of Partial Differential Equations by Piecewise Constant Controls [PDF], Int. Journal of Systems Science, 1986, Vol 17, No. 1.
22. Potential Theory: Reformulating Boundary-Value Problems as Integral Equations, Int. Journal of Math. Ed., Jan 1998.
23. An Ingenious Idea of George Green, Int. Journal of Math Ed. June 1999.
math links back to math dept
The Maine Stein Song has the distinction of being the only college fight song which doubled as a national hit song.
Free Numerical, Mathematical, Statistics Libraries and Source Code