Hiebeler's Home Page
Hai3 nei4 cun2 zhi1 ji3, tian1 ya2 ruo4 bi3 lin2
``If there is someone in the world who truly understands you, then wherever you go, they will always be beside you.''
The quote above is a very famous line from a poem. If you think you know Chinese poetry very well, see if you can remember the next line of the poem. Click here to check and see if you remembered it correctly (as well as the author and title of the poem).
Professor of Mathematics
Dept. of Mathematics and Statistics
236 Neville Hall
University of Maine
Orono, Maine 04469-5752
My research and outreach activities are mainly done through my SPEED Lab group (Spatial Population Ecological and Epidemiological Dynamics); links to various information about my teaching, research, etc. should be over on the left (or possibly at the bottom of the page if your browser doesn't do CSS). If you are a student interested in working with me, please contact me. I try to have students (undergraduate and graduate) involved in my research group as much as possible.
After scanning the Internet for 15 years, I have finally published a paper (DOI 10.1016/j.jtbi.2017.01.035) modeling the spread of malicious software (computer worms) through networks with clustered distributions of susceptible computer hosts.
Here are some links that I believe are more useful/popular, and wanted to keep highlighted on the front page.
- Info about and download links for my spatial simulator mobile app for Apple's iPad / iPhone / iPod Touch and for Android devices.
- Information about my research lab group is available under my SPEED Lab pages.
- My MATLAB/R Reference available in PDF
- Students looking for links to my courses can find them under my Teaching link.
I've reorganized my web pages; below are some odds and ends which I haven't put into the new framework yet, so for now they'll stay here.
- A few pictures from China during my visits in 1998 and 2002 . I have been to China seven times so far.
- My impressions of the Toshiba Satellite Pro 480CDT laptop, still included here as a historical artifact
- The two children's stories I published in China, with accompanying vocabulary lists for people learning Chinese.
- People have often asked me for suggestions about how to learn Chinese, so I threw together some rough thoughts and info about Learning Chinese which I hope to improve someday.
"Man passes through the present with his eyes blindfolded. He is permitted merely to sense and guess at what he is actually experiencing. Only later when the cloth is untied can he glance at the past and find out what he has experienced and what meaning it has had."
-Milan Kundera, "Nobody Will Laugh", in Laughable Loves
"A year indoors is a journey along a paper calendar; a year in outer nature is the accomplishment of a tremendous ritual."
-Henry Beston, The Outermost House, 1928.